Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Alcohol is a cultural staple across the globe. Some use it to celebrate, while others reach for a drink to soothe their melancholy. The complex flavors of wine are paired with food or dispensed by the ecclesiastic during religious ceremonies. Whether you drink or not, alcohol is difficult to avoid. Unfortunately, the prevalence of alcohol puts some individuals at risk of developing problematic drinking habits. Drinking is so widespread that dependency and addiction have become commonplace, affecting more than 15 million people in the U.S. alone. Although some individuals can drink in moderation, those who struggle with alcohol abuse are often unable to control their consumption. Unfortunately, alcohol addiction can be difficult to recognize because drinking is so normalized, making it hard to tell the difference between someone who enjoys the occasional drink and someone who has a serious problem. As drinking patterns worsen, the negative consequences begin to multiply, putting the health, safety and well-being of the affected individual at risk and increasing the difficulties they’ll experience as a result.
At Journey Hillside Tarzana, we understand the importance of immediate intervention in treating an individual struggling with alcohol addiction. Alcoholism is a complex disease that can be challenging to overcome due to the various symptoms, health problems and co-occurring disorders associated with it. Whatever obstacles you’re facing on your road to recovery, our highly experienced team of addiction specialists, medical providers and clinicians can help you heal with highly personalized care that exceeds industry standards. Our goal is to give each individual the tools they need to rediscover a happy, healthy life free from alcohol dependency because we believe that no matter how deep your addiction runs, you can achieve long-term sobriety.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED TREATMENT?
Alcohol use is so widespread that it can be hard to distinguish moderate drinking from addiction or abuse. If you’re beginning to question the drinking habits of yourself or someone you love, there are some signs you can look for that may indicate an alcohol use disorder, including:
- FREQUENT BINGE DRINKING
- INAPPROPRIATE INTOXICATION AT HOME, SOCIAL GATHERINGS, EVENTS, WORK, ETC.
- ENGAGING IN RISKY BEHAVIORS
- UNABLE TO LIMIT CONSUMPTION DESPITE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES
- SPENDING MORE AND MORE TIME DRINKING
- USING ALCOHOL TO COPE WITH DIFFICULT FEELINGS
- INABILITY TO STOP AT ONE OR TWO DRINKS
- INCREASED ISOLATION FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY
- FINANCIAL, LEGAL OR HEALTH PROBLEMS ARISE DUE TO ALCOHOL USE
- EXPERIENCING UNCOMFORTABLE AND DANGEROUS WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS
- INTENSE CRAVINGS FOR ALCOHOL
Long-term symptoms of alcohol addiction include serious health problems such as cirrhosis of the liver, cardiovascular disease, stomach ulcers, pancreatitis and more. With continued alcohol use, some of this damage can be irreversible. Despite being legal and widely available, alcohol can wreak havoc on an individual’s mental, physical and emotional health, making it crucial to seek treatment for a drinking problem as soon as possible.
BARRIERS TO SEEKING TREATMENT
Since alcohol is a legal and socially acceptable substance, the signs of alcohol addiction are often ignored or dismissed because drinking is viewed as normal behavior. As a result, treatment is often delayed or declined and the harmful effects are prolonged. According to the Recovery Research Institute, 29 percent of Americans meet the criteria for the definition of heavy or excessive drinkers, but only one in five will ever receive treatment. As with other substance use disorders, there are a number of barriers to treatment that prevent individuals from getting the help they need. Some of the barriers to alcohol addiction treatment include:
- DRINKING IS NORMALIZED — ALCOHOL USE IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL, SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR, MAKING ADDICTION AND DEPENDENCE HARDER TO IDENTIFY.
- SOCIETAL STIGMAS — STIGMAS AND NEGATIVE ATTITUDES REGARDING ALCOHOLISM MAY LEAD TO GUILT, EMBARRASSMENT AND SHAME, PREVENTING INDIVIDUALS FROM SEEKING HELP FOR FEAR OF LOSING THEIR FRIENDS, FAMILY, CAREERS AND REPUTATION.
- DENIAL — ADMITTING THAT YOU NEED HELP IS WIDELY CONSIDERED TO BE THE FIRST STEP IN THE RECOVERY PROCESS. MANY INDIVIDUALS STRUGGLING WITH SUBSTANCE AND ALCOHOL USE DISORDERS ARE IN DENIAL AND REFUSE TO ADMIT THAT THEIR DRINKING HAS GOTTEN OUT OF CONTROL. SIMILARLY, THEIR FRIENDS AND FAMILY MAY ALSO DENY THAT THEIR EXCESSIVE DRINKING IS PROBLEMATIC.
- DIY ATTITUDE — UNFORTUNATELY, MANY PEOPLE THINK THAT ADDICTION IS A SIGN OF WEAKNESS OR FAILURE WHEN, IN REALITY, SUBSTANCE USE DISORDERS ARE FAR MORE COMPLICATED. THIS HAS GIVEN RISE TO THE DANGEROUS IDEA THAT ADDICTION CAN BE HANDLED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT PROFESSIONAL HELP OR INTERVENTION. WHEN ASKED TO IDENTIFY REASONS FOR NOT SEEKING TREATMENT, A WHOPPING 42 PERCENT OF PARTICIPANTS IN A NATIONAL EPIDEMIOLOGIC SURVEY ON ALCOHOL AND RELATED CONDITIONS (NESARC) RESPONDED THAT THEY THOUGHT THEY SHOULD BE STRONG ENOUGH TO HANDLE THEIR DRINKING PROBLEM ALONE.
Many other barriers to treatment exist as well, including accessibility, financial and commitment issues. At Journey Hillside Tarzana, we’re changing the way we think about alcohol addiction and increasing the level of care that individuals receive. Alcoholism isn’t a shameful secret that should be kept away or hidden; it’s a disease affecting people from all walks of life that requires compassion, empathy and understanding. Our goal is to help you and your loved ones come to terms with your drinking and receive the care you need to heal. We strive to raise the bar and provide a comprehensive treatment center that provides individuals with high-quality, individualized care that will promote long-term, sustainable recovery.
TREATING ALCOHOL ADDICTION TREATMENT LOS ANGELES
At Journey Hillside Tarzana, we utilize the most effective treatment modalities to give our patients the best chance at achieving long-term recovery. Our services include a medically-managed detox with a nursing staff available 24/7, an intimate six-bed residential program, 12-step and community integration, family and alumni support, and more. For many individuals, the treatment experience begins with comprehensive detox to ensure that their recovery starts on the right foot. Detox is an important part of the treatment process that safely removes traces of drugs or alcohol from the body, allowing patients to recover their mental and physical health, reduce cravings and eliminate withdrawal symptoms. This helps them to feel prepared for the recovery journey ahead and enter treatment with a clear mind.
Once detox is completed, patients transition into our residential treatment program. To provide each patient with the one-on-one care they deserve, we admit six patients at a time. This ensures a highly personalized experience and fosters a deep sense of support, community and friendship among patients and staff. For those that require a more intensive focus in specific areas of recovery, we also offer specialty tracks that complement our regular programming. These specialty options include an Impaired Professionals Track, a 12-Step Track and a Holistic Track, each designed to meet specific treatment needs. Regardless of which program you choose, you will spend your days engaged in a variety of evidence-based therapies that will help you uncover the roots of your addiction and learn the coping mechanisms, recovery strategies and life skills you need to maintain your sobriety. Among the techniques we use include:
- INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP THERAPY
- CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY EDUCATION
- COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY
- DIALECTICAL BEHAVIORAL THERAPY
- MEDICATION-ASSISTED TREATMENT
- MEDITATION AND YOGA
- MINDFULNESS TRAINING
- HIKING AND NATURE THERAPY
- PHYSICAL FITNESS AND EXERCISE
- 12-STEP TECHNIQUES AND INTEGRATION
We recognize that individuals experience addiction differently and that there is no “magic bullet” that will work for every patient. To meet the needs of our diverse clientele and ensure that patients can heal on their own terms, length of stay in our programs is flexible. Sometimes it can take time to find the treatments that resonate with you, and we want each individual to feel cared for and supported, not rushed.
CONTACT JOURNEY HILLSIDE TARZANA
When you’re ready to overcome your alcohol addiction in Los Angeles and begin your journey back to sobriety, Journey Hillside Tarzana is here to help rediscover the happy, healthy life you deserve. If you or someone you care about is struggling with alcohol dependency, don’t hesitate to contact or call us today at 877-414-1024 to learn more about our programs and how they can help.